Who Tweets? Nearly 250 million people worldwide turn to Twitter each day for business purposes, personal use or both. What are they doing? They are interacting with a trending topic, keeping up-to-date on world events, talking about their day-to-day life, or interacting with a brand like yours.
If you are considering jumping on the social media bandwagon, you are likely asking yourself, “How can Tweeting help my business?” Tweeting can help boost your business in many ways:
- Open new doors for communication, education and engagement with your audience.
- Begin new customer relationships and expand upon your existing ones.
- Quickly and easily spread promotions and special offers to your industry.
- Keep up with industry trends.
- Gives your brand a very important human element – a personality!
Here are some tips to get started, and you can find specific, step-by-step instructions by viewing our webinar on demand at oakstreetfunding.com/webinars.
Create a username
Once you have decided to sign up, you have to choose a username before you can begin Tweeting. Your username is what others will use to contact you while using the platform (i.e. @OSFunding.) There are a few simple rules to follow when you are selecting a name:
- Make sure that whatever name you choose is simple, memorable and relevant to your brand.
- Avoid using numbers or underscores, as they are difficult to remember.
- If your name is taken, consider abbreviating part of your name or adding a descriptive element, such as what state you are located in.
- Always remember, you can change your username at any time. However, once you are established, if you change your name, your followers might have trouble communicating with you.
Personalize your profile
Next, you have to personalize your profile to reflect your brand.
- Choose an image that is square for your profile photo.
- Select a background image.
- Don’t forget to fill out your biography.
Research and Tweet
Once your profile is ready to go, it is time to do some research to determine what types of posts can help meet your objectives. There is no perfect recipe, but don’t be afraid to test different messaging styles until you find what works best for each purpose.
- Search for topics pertaining to your industry, find profiles of both competitors and industry partners – see what everyone is talking about!
- Take note of the mixed media they are sharing.
- Tailor each Tweet based upon your desired outcome.
Understand and use hashtags
Using hashtags that are relevant to your industry is a great way to gain both followers and exposure from the right audience. What is a #hashtag? A hashtag is any word or phrase that begins with a # symbol. When this symbol is used in your message, it will put whatever word of phrase that follows into a category or topic that is searchable and more likely to be found. For example, if your message contains #insurance, anyone around the globe that searches for the word insurance on Twitter are more likely to see your post than if you don’t utilize the hashtag feature. When many people use the same hashtag, it becomes a “trending topic.”
Tweak your Tweets
As you gain more experience with Twitter and post more frequently, continue to ask yourself questions to always ensure you’re successfully engaging with your audience:
- What would inspire my followers to respond?
- What kind of language should I use to sound natural?
- Which keywords make the most sense to #hashtag?”
With these tips and instructions, it is time to get started. We hope to see connect with you on Twitter! Once you do, please follow us at @OSFunding and @osfAgencyExchange.